The revival of the Hawaiian language, which was at one point nearly extinct, is now being used as a model for how other indigenous languages can be revitalized.
Advocates of endangered languages gathered at the University of Hawaii at Manoa this month for the fifth International Conference on Language Documentation and Conservation. The conference included a field study of Hawaiian medium language schools — public schools where the curriculum is taught entirely in Hawaiian — in Hilo, Hawaii, to see what lessons can be applied to saving other languages. Advocates came from Okinawa, Japan; Singapore; Australia; New Zealand; Canada; and several states, according to the University of Hawaii.
“The Pūnana Leo preschools continue until today based on the simple rule: If you speak only in Hawaiian to the children, they will begin to speak it back to you,” Larry Kimura, associate professor of Hawaiian language and Hawaiian studies at the University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo, told NBC News.
The Morning Rundown
“When the [state Department of Education] allowed its first two probationary ‘Hawaiian immersion’ sites, the department was very frank in stating that they had no qualified teachers and no Hawaiian curriculum to support the program,” he added. “The Pūnana Leo responded that we would take up that responsibility.”
Hawaiian was banned in the state’s schools in 1896. The language nearly died out, according to the Hawaii Department of Education, and in 1978 it was made one of the official languages of the state, leading to changes in Hawaii’s education system. The first Hawaiian medium schools were established in 1985.
“The Pūnana Leo preschools continue until today based on the simple rule: If you speak only in Hawaiian to the children, they will begin to speak it back to you.”
According to Kimura, it takes three generations of native speakers to reestablish a language; Hawaii is now seeing its third generation of new Hawaiian native speakers — defined as children who are raised with Hawaiian at home until they are 3 or 4, he said.
After graduating 17 classes of students from K-12 Hawaiian medium schools, enrollment continues to rise, with some of those graduates now sending their own children, according to Kimura. Advocates now want to take the next step and expand Hawaiian medium education to the university level.
The education system goes beyond just language immersion, Kimura said, and also incorporates Hawaiian educational philosophy.
“A more appropriate term perhaps is Hawaiian medium education where we can expand our own Hawaiian education philosophy and knowledge foundation for learning so it is not only about revitalizing our language but our language also connects us to a life force of well-being as a people,” he said.
A bill is currently advancing through the Hawaii state legislature to expand educational opportunities for Hawaiian speakers by offering general education courses at the university level in Hawaiian in addition to English.
“Our bill regarding our concern that the College of Hawaiian Language take the lead in offering general education courses in Hawaiian, moved out of the House Committee on Ocean, Marine Sciences and Hawaiian Affairs today,” Kimura said Tuesday. “The bill has already moved through the Senate Committees so now the process continues to several more stages.”
- Learning Life’s ABCs: AI Models Read Proteins to Fight COVID-19
- The new language of love? One in five people across the UK use emojis instead of text when messaging a romantic interest
- Programming languages: Now Rust project looks for a way into the Linux kernel
- Predictive analytics offers incredibly powerful use cases within healthcare : Charlie Farah
- Trillions of words analyzed, OpenAI sets loose AI language colossus
- AI: cutting-edge solution revolutionising brand ambassador model
- Barbarous trade in bones from captive lions for use in Chinese 'medicines', wines and jewellery could spark risk of new pandemic, warn experts
- Exposing the most barbaric industry on earth: The heart-stopping story of how LORD ASHCROFT hired a crack team of soldiers using drones to nail the criminals behind South Africa's lucrative captive lion trade
- A new tool translates 4000-year old stories using machine learning
- Military to foster foreign language training
- Navajo Nation tells Washington Redskins to change their name to the Code Talkers in honor of the men who helped win World War II with their sacred language
- OpenAI’s GPT-3 algorithm is here, and it’s freakishly good at sounding human
- Face the Nation Transcript September 18, 2016: King, Kaine, Conway, Priebus
- Monkeys and humans think more alike than we knew
- 'Berlin Alexanderplatz': Updated and adapted into film
- Evidence uncovered Native Americans reached Polynesia 800 years before European explorers
- When is a little kid a 'detainee'? When he's an immigrant, and the AP says so
- REVEALED: How Native Americans reached Polynesia 800 years ago by raft and interbred with islanders - centuries before European explorers arrived in the Pacific
- A Book No One Can Read: Mystery of 600-Year-Old Voynich Manuscript
- Native Americans crossed Pacific and reached Polynesia first – centuries before European explorers arrived, DNA reveals
Hawaiian Language Revival Used as Model for Other Indigenous Languages have 898 words, post on www.nbcnews.com at March 17, 2017. This is cached page on Health Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.