Source: J. Krueger I believe gender is a spectrum, and I fall somewhere between Channing Tatum and Winnie the Pooh. ~ Stephen Colbert I think my dad is highly gender-neutral. If he doesn’t like someone, he’ll articulate that. ~ Ivanka Trump Sex and gender are ubiquitous but difficult concepts. One general issue is that most contemporary cultures emerged from a historically patriarchal context. The historical narrative is male-centric and men tend to dominate most power relations in their prototypical form. A biological or evolutionary analysis of gender differences and inequality is enlightening but ultimately unsatisfying because of the risk of undermining social progress and gender equality. A social-constructivist narrative is also unsatisfying because it tends to focus on areas of female disadvantage, such as unequal pay, retarded promotions, and the sheer unavailability of certain careers. This narrative, though important, is open to the counter-narrative of male disadvantage in other areas: shorter life spans, less specialized health care, over-representation in high-risk jobs, under-representation in college student populations, pro-mother probate courts, to name a few. A lawmaker in Kentucky has proposed that men seeking a prescription for Viagra must have a note from their (female) spouse. A provocateuse, this lawmaker challenges her… Read full this story
- The myth of the gendered brain
- The sexist myths we can't get rid of
- The sexist myths that won't die
- Man burying daughter finds newborn alive in Indian grave
- Have you tried this vegan cafe in Ipswich?
- Review: Macbeth at Manchester Royal Exchange Theatre
- 7 reasons why you should watch The Politician on Netflix
- 'I stand before you as a woman of colour and as your sister'
- 'Jupiter', pigs and a gift to the rich...
- How to wear...the waist belt
Gender Wrap have 290 words, post on www.psychologytoday.com at February 19, 2017. This is cached page on Health Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.