Thank you for reading Patch. Let’s catch up on your week in headlines across the Illinois Patch network.
» TOP STORIES
Here’s an inside look at one group in the Chicago suburbs who carry firearms and rigorously prepare to use them if needed.
A Chicago woman whose racially fueled tirade made waves on social media has allegedly been battered in Wrigleyville.
William Christopher was born in Evanston and graduated from New Trier High School in Winnetka.
While vacationing in Hawaii, he saved the lives of two people who were drowning on Christmas Eve.
A homeless man who used a coat hanger to steal 176 quarters from a UIC vending machine just saw six years knocked off his prison term.
Police have arrested a man in the assault and death of a 16-year-old Chicago girl whose body was found in a Markham garage on Christmas Eve.
Several birders have spotted the national bird in and around Chicago’s South Side.
Wicker Park comedian and designer Brittany Meyer’s popular monthly show at Uptown Underground creates a fun night from two common phobias.
The lifelong Chicago Cubs fan has traveled about 10 miles each day in his wheelchair to raise money for several charities.
The woman went without oxygen for more than 17 minutes, the lawsuit said.
Several fights in the Fox Valley Mall among a large number of teens sent people running for the exits as police poured into the mall Monday night and made seven arrests.
» HAPPY NEW YEAR
Catfish spearing, weed, bath salts, tampons, scofflaw renters, grannies, police dogs, and eggs all subject to new laws taking effect Jan. 1.
AND MORE NEW LAWS:
Here are the most interesting “people” stories from the Illinois Patch network from the past year.
» ACROSS ILLINOIS
A former prosecutor and Grundy County State’s Attorney candidate who was jailed Christmas Eve on drug charges passed off bags of coke and pot to a man at a Morris bar before she was taken into custody, police said.
A longtime village trustee crashed his car in Romeoville three nights before Christmas and was charged with driving under the influence.
Palos Park police are investigating a head-on collision that killed an Orland Park woman Thursday night.
A man wearing black tape in the shape of a fake mustache robbed a bank Wednesday afternoon in Alsip.
Illinois State Police are asking for the public’s help in tracking down a driver believed to have fatally struck a pedestrian on I-57 on Christmas Eve.
Robert Leo Hulseman, described as “an industry pioneer” and “hands-on manufacturing expert,” died on Dec. 21. He was 84.
Two men attacked a man leaving work in a parking lot in Northbrook with a baseball bat last week.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel released nearly 3,000 pages of emails from private accounts last week as part of a legal settlement with the Better Government Association, according to the watchdog group. And that avalanche of correspondence has revealed a list of prominent — and in many cases, very wealthy — political, business and media elites looking to potentially reap any benefits that might come with direct access to the mayor’s office.
The two relatives who died in separate rooms of a Morton Grove house on Wednesday died of natural causes.
David Steiner, a Chicago filmmaker who produced an award-winning documentary about Englewood’s Barbara A. Sizemore Academy charter school, was killed Monday in a bus crash in Uganda while he was in the East African country to shoot his next movie.
The body of a second crash victim was pulled Tuesday morning.
» FIND A JOB
- Best & Worst Cities in Illinois for Jobs: Report
- These 25 Jobs Make the Most Money in Illinois
- New: List Your Job on Patch!
» ALSO WORTH A LOOK
- Uber Driver Shot as He Drove Past Gang Members Trying to Kill Each Other
- DuPage Sheriff’s Office First in State to Equip All Cops With EpiPens
- Hooded Crooks Rob Man Trying to Buy iPhone That was Really Just a Bar of Soap
- Teen Blogger Detained at O’Hare As He Seeks Asylum in United States
- American Airlines Flight Makes Emergency Stop at O’Hare
- Hat Thief Bit 1 Security Guard’s Hand, Punched Another in the Face: Cops
- Police Looking for Woman who Reportedly Stole Lotto Tickets in Montgomery
- Body in Burning Car Identified as Flossmoor Teen
- Chicago’s Divvy Bike Share Will be Third in U.S. to Reach 10 Million Riders
- Chicago Police Expedite and Expand Body Worn Cameras Program
Our “Miss A Day, Miss a Lot” review shares recent must-read items from our Illinois network. The Patch community platform serves more than seven dozen villages, cities and neighborhoods in the Chicago region.
Thank you for reading.
» how to subscribe: Find your local Patch and tap into news, conversation and information via newsletters, alerts, special features and roundups.
» how to use Patch’s community calendars: Our calendars are easy to use and reach thousands of people in your community.
- The Christmas bombings of Hanoi in retrospect
- 15 movies to be released in Vietnam in November
- Ten movies for January
- PM under fire as 100,000 flee worst Malaysia floods in decades
- US, Britain widen anti-terror front in Yemen
- As Sestak scandal draws to close US government gives up on millions
- Snowden: a very modern spy thriller
- Turkey’s targeted teachers find refuge in Vietnam
- Foreigners express love for Tet holiday
- Irene loses some strength off NC, still dangerous
- Messi double eases Barcelona past nine-man Espanyol
'Get the Bad Guy' / Michaels Store Screamer Attacked / Christmas Eve Hawaii Rescue / 'Absurd' Prison Time for Quarter Thief have 1155 words, post on patch.com at January 1, 2017. This is cached page on Health Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.