Autumn arrives in India with an array of festivals, and Durga Puja is one of the most important festivals that is celebrated by the Indians. September and October are regarded as the festive months, as this is the time when festivals like Ganesh Chaturthi, Viswakarma Puja, and most importantly, Durga Puja fall in.
When Bengalis, all over the world, celebrate Durga Puja with pomp and vigour, the other parts of India worship Goddess Durga with the Navratri Puja.
Durga Puja starts with the end of ‘Pitru Paksha’. The day when ‘Pitru Paksha’ ends and ‘Devi Paksha’ begins, it is known as the Mahalaya. Mahalaya is an auspicious day before the seven-day celebration of Durga Puja. This year it falls on 6 October.
Also Read: 9 Rituals Associated With Durga Puja
People wait for Durga Puja throughout the year, but these seven days, they eagerly wait and prepare themselves to welcome Goddess Durga, the daughter of the family.
To Bengalis, Mahalaya is equal to the eternal invocation mantra, ‘Jago Durga…Jago Tumi Jago’. But, throughout India, Mahalaya Amavasya has a very specific significance.
Myths and beliefs are associated with this festival. Every year, people perform ‘Tarpan’ and other rituals on this auspicious day. Have you ever thought about why they do so? Have a look below to know about the exact significance of Mahalaya Amavasya.
1. Your Ancestors Will Be Free: Mahalaya falls on the new moon day, which is also known as the ‘Mahalaya Amavasya’. It is believed that if you offer oblations to the souls of your ancestors on this day, they get free from worldly sin.
2. The Story of Mahabharata: According to the Mahabharata legend, after the death of Karna, he went to heaven. There, his soul was offered jewels as food. He was surprised to see this. Then, Indra clarified that during Karna’s lifetime; he never offered anything to his ancestors. Karna replied, he didn’t know about them and wanted a chance to do the due. He came back on earth for sixteen days and he offered food and other belongings to his ancestors and returned to heaven.
3. Beginning of ‘Akal Bodhan’: This means worshipping before time. According to mythology, King Suratha worshipped Devi Durga during the spring. But, Lord Ram worshipped Goddess Durga during the autumn season, as he needed her blessings to kill Ravana. This day signifies the awakening of Devi Durga.
4. The Story of War: It is said that when Devatas got irritated with the demon, Mahishasura, and went to the Trinity for a solution; they got so angry that their anger took the form of Devi Durga. On Mahalaya, Devi is dressed up with lethal weapons and she is said to have killed Mahishasura. This day is signified as the victory of virtue over vice.
5. Importance to the Bengalis: Finally, Mahalaya is most important to the Bengalis, as this is the day when they remember their forefathers. They also get ready to welcome their daughter, ‘Uma’, for the five days and forget all their miseries. They are renewed to a new life with the festival and prepare to welcome life again with all its ups and downs.
When talking about Mahalaya and its connection to Bengalis, you can’t forget about the eternal ‘Mahishasur-Mardini’ programme on the radio by Birendra Krishna Vadra.
For generations, the shlokas and chants are so attached to the Bengali’s culture that each year the dawn of Mahalaya appears with new hope with this eternal programme.
- Significance Of Goddess Gayatri & The Gayatri Mantra
- Vasant Panchami 2020: How To Worship Goddess Saraswati According To Your Zodiac Sign
- Saraswati Puja 2020: Here Are 5 Offerings For Goddess Saraswati On Basant Panchami
- Mauni Amavasya 2020 Date, Time and Significance
- Ratha Saptami 2020: Know The Muhurta, Significance And Benefits
- Basant Panchami 2020: Chant these mantras of Goddess Saraswati for her blessings
- Basant Panchami 2020: You can pay tribute to Goddess Saraswati by reciting this aarti!
- Saraswati Puja Significance, Mantra and Vidhi
- Basant Panchami 2020 Date, Time, Significance: All you need to know about Saraswati Puja
- Saraswati Puja 2020: Date, Time, Significance, Puja Vidhi & Mantra
- Basant Panchami 2020: History, significance, puja date and time
- Basant Panchami 2020: Puja timings, significance of Saraswati Puja on this day
- UK city of culture 2021: five contenders wait to hear if they have won
- Young England embrace old-fashioned virtues with eye on 2021-22 Ashes
- Aurora Station: Luxury Space Hotel Will Launch in 2021, California Startup Says
- Crowded Senate battle in Georgia likely won't end until 2021
- How to watch Super Bowl 2021: Date, time, schedule, what to know for Super Bowl LIV on CBS
- How to watch Super Bowl 2021: Schedule, time, date, and everything to know for Super Bowl LV on CBS
- How to watch Super Bowl 2021: Schedule, date, time and what to know for Super Bowl LV on CBS
- How to watch Super Bowl 2021: Date, time, schedule and everything to know for Super Bowl LV on CBS
Mahalaya 2021: Significance of This Day (Invoking Goddess Durga) have 959 words, post on www.boldsky.com at September 28, 2016. This is cached page on Health Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.