HBO’s Vinyl, the high-profile rock drama executive produced by Martin Scorsese and Mick Jagger, has been canceled. Deadline reports that HBO had opted to ax the series after a disappointing first season, even though the show had already been renewed in February.
“After careful consideration, we have decided not to proceed with a second season of Vinyl,” the network said in a statement. “Obviously, this was not an easy decision. We have enormous respect for the creative team and cast for their hard work and passion on this project.”
Changing showrunners wasn’t enough to keep the show afloat
Vinyl, which attempted to follow the ’70s music industry in all its cocaine-fueled glory, was the labor of love of Scorsese and Jagger, who’d worked to produce it over the course of decades. Fronted by Boardwalk Empire alum Bobby Cannavale as struggling record exec Richie Finestra, the show received soft ratings and mixed-to-positive reviews from critics in spite of its bona fides. That eventually lead to showrunner Terrence Winter being replaced in April. Apparently, that wasn’t enough to keep the show afloat, making Vinyl the latest HBO show since The Brink to be canceled after a single season.
Update 2:15pm ET: A previous version of this article stated that Luck was the last HBO series canceled after a single season. That was incorrect. We’ve updated the post to reflect the error.
- If HBO makes a second season of 'Watchmen,' it should be about Vietnam
- HBO's big test now that "Game of Thrones" is history: Don't lose viewers
- HBO Renews 'Ballers' and 'Insecure'
- Is One of the Great Dramas in American TV — and It Deserves a Third Season
- HBO Inks Exclusive Deal With Nic Pizzolatto (But Doesn’t Say
- Watchmen's Regina King is Down for a Second Season
- What Will HBO’s
- ‘Westworld’ Season 3 Trailer: The Robots Have Taken Over – Comic-Con
- If HBO Is Reading This, Jean Smart Has Plenty of
- Season-Premiere Recap: The North Remembers
- ‘Westworld’ Rickrolls Reddit After Promising Season 2 Spoilers
- Director Cary Fukunaga on the Season-1 Finale and Why So Many ‘Clues’ Aren’t Addressed
- Game of Thrones: Daenerys' Fur Coat Had A Hidden Meaning in Final Season
- The Witcher Season 1 Review: Henry Cavill's Netflix Series Could Be New Game Of Thrones
- First day of New Zealand's tour match cancelled due to extreme heat
- Game over! Channel Nine suddenly CANCELS The Footy Show midseason as AFL program collapses amid dismal ratings - ending a 25 year run spiked with controversy and a cheating scandal
- Just How Hard Is It to Kill a Dragon?
- Kim Kardashian puckers up while on the set of season 16 of Keeping Up With The Kardashians which WILL feature a skinnier Rob
- 87 hours of TV (and movies) to binge this holiday season
- Why Netflix Is Right to Cancel the Shows No One Is Watching
HBO's Vinyl canceled after just one season have 457 words, post on www.theverge.com at June 22, 2016. This is cached page on Health Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.