City Education Department officials are moving to fire a Brooklyn school leader after an investigation uncovered a massive cheating scandal, schools boss Carmen Fariña said Wednesday.
John Dewey High School principal Kathleen Elvin awarded bogus credits to students and botched Regents exams during the 2013-14 school year, city investigators found in a probe concluded June 30.
Two other Dewey administrators who helped Elvin execute her wide-ranging scheme to inflate graduation rates at the troubled school will be disciplined as well, said Education officials said.
Fariña said Elvin, who worked in city schools since 1983 and earned $149,213, will be removed from the payroll soon.
“The results of the investigation are disturbing and show there was a failure to follow the DOE’s protocol during the 2013-2014 school year,” said Fariña. “We have begun the process to have Ms. Elvin’s employment terminated.”
Elvin, 69, of Manhattan, didn’t respond to calls for comment.
The city’s probe into allegations of widespread cheating at Dewey began roughly 18 months ago, after whistleblowers told Education officials that scores of students were receiving credits they didn’t earn under phantom programs intended to boost graduation rates.
Investigators substantiated those claims in a review of two credit recovery programs called PM School and Project Graduation, a report from the probe released by the Education Department shows.
“The investigation determined that no instruction was provided during these courses, and that no instruction was possible because of the vast variety of subject areas covered by PM School and Project Graduation,” the report says.
Investigators also found that Dewey staffers inflated students’ Regents exam scores through a variety of methods.
Staffers at John Dewey High School said hundreds of kids may have been affected by the cheating schemes at the school, which they said continued into the 2014-15 school year.
“We were extremely pleased with the report, but it doesn’t go far enough,” said Wade Goria, who has taught social studies at Dewey for almost 20 years. “Students were cheated out of an education in a horrible way. She (Elvin) took one of the great schools, hacked it apart, decimated it and destroyed its morale.”
Students affected by the scam won’t be required to make up credits they were awarded improperly, Education officials said.
ON A MOBILE DEVICE? WATCH THE VIDEO HERE.
- The Latest: NYC mayor still plans to reopen schools on time
- REVEALED: Felicity Huffman and husband William H Macy’s $20 million real estate portfolio of SIX properties that led to judge setting actress’ bail at $1M in college cheating scandal
- Sarasota Swears In New School Superintendent Ahead Of Reopening
- How Victoria's health officials helped spark horror coronavirus outbreak by IGNORING national guidelines in a stunning blunder that threatens the entire nation's recovery and plunged millions back into lockdown
- David Foster Wallace on John McCain: ‘The Weasel, Twelve Monkeys and the Shrub’
- Face masks chaos as Nicola Sturgeon prepares to order children to wear them in Scottish school corridors and communal areas - while Boris rules them OUT for English teachers and pupils
- Quarantines, closures: Confusion reigns as schools reopen
- St Andrews University sex scandal spreads to prestigious Kate Kennedy Club as students accuse members of groping and sexist drunken behaviour
- Trump, the 'Mafia' Donald? US President is compared to mob boss and branded a lying sex cheat in bombshell book by lawyer who spent 12 years at his side
- From 3 government shutdowns to Supreme Court Judge Kavanaugh, the highs and lows of Donald Trump’s 2018
- Officials change virus testing advice, bewildering experts
- Ministry reveals extent of known school frauds - and more are likely to be unknown
- Britons will accept home schooling, local lockdowns and bans on live audiences if a coronavirus vaccine can't be found, survey finds
- Spain's scandal-hit former King Juan Carlos, 82, is staying with his lover of 40 years in luxury Abu Dhabi hotel after fleeing Spain with just two suitcases of 'essentials', royal expert claims
- Spain's runaway former King Juan Carlos is hiding out in a £10k-a-night suite at a luxury Abu Dhabi hotel after fleeing amid corruption scandal
- Intelligence officials defend surveillance tactics in Congressional hearing - live
- Don't let our children down again: Voters blast Boris Johnson for his silence on exams fiasco and demand he must not fail to reopen schools next month
- A ‘Maverick,’ Revisited
- FDA Won’t ‘Cut Corners’ To Approve A Covid-19 Vaccine, Commissioner Says
- Diddy Ruins Mickey Rourke’s Evening Plans
NYC education officials to fire John Dewey High School principal after cheating scandal investigation have 717 words, post on www.nydailynews.com at July 9, 2015. This is cached page on Health Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.