Want to get away for the Fourth? Haven’t even started planning yet? Not a problem.
The window of cheap airfare may have closed. But great hotels in great destinations are still available, often at great prices.
See also: The ultimate American BBQ road trip
The average hotel rate in the U.S. for the Fourth of July weekend is up 11% over this time last year, according to HotelTonight . But that increase isn’t evenly distributed. Some destinations are still great deals, even three days out.
Check out these cities for a last minute getaway:
White River Junction, Vermont
The average rate for a hotel room in White River Junction this weekend is $134, according to HotelTonight. That’s a 34% decrease since last year, and a great deal for one of the coolest small towns in the country.
White River has outdoor activities, like hiking, camping and canoeing, and also an adorable city center for relaxing this Independence Day.
The Berkshires are popular in the summer and the fall, when the leaves go crazy. But popularity isn’t driving prices in 2015, at least. Hotel rates in the Berkshires are down 29%, with an average of $180, compared to last year.
The average nightly rate is $147, or 17% less than last year.
The Poconos have an amazing number of outdoor activities, and the forecast for the Fourth of July — low 80s and partly cloudy — is just right for spending time in nature.
The average rate on HotelTonight for this oh-so-American town is $153, 12% less than last year.
Williamsburg offers a chance to get a dose of history along with your Fourth of July celebrations.
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
At $108, average rates in Chapel Hill are down 12% compared to 2014.
Since it’s a college town, summer is a great time to take advantage of the charms Chapel Hill has to offer — with no students to get in your way.
Tampa Bay, Florida
Looking for a beach getaway? Rates in Tampa Bay were down 20% from last year, averaging $180.
Durango is a tad more expensive than a lot of the other cities, with an average rate of $215. But that’s 14% lower than last year, so it’s still a good deal if this is where you want to spend Independence Day.
The charming city has a roster of Fourth of July activities planned for Saturday, from a morning 5K run to an evening parade . And, of course, fireworks.
Las Vegas, Nevada
For serious savings — at least, not counting your gambling money — head to Vegas. The average rate is down 39% compared to last year.
With a good amount of luck, maybe you can win back the rest of the cost at the tables.
- Secrets of cheap fall getaways
- Fall foliage destinations with a twist
- Escape the typical Spring Break crowds with getaways from the Caribbean to the Rockies
- Low gas prices fuel 42M road trips this Fourth of July as experts predict major gridlock
- 10 last-minute hotel deals for Fourth of July in Phoenix, Scottsdale
- Travel: Valentine's Day getaway in historic Frenchtown
- Cool-La-La! The French Riviera, from Saint-Tropez to Monaco, is a welcome winter getaway
- British overseas territory of Anguilla is the ultimate getaway for those who just want to unwind
- After weekend getaway, Obamas leave Palm Springs
- Holiday traffic spurred by cheap gas
- 4 of the best spring break destinations
- Oregon matures into world-class wine and food destination
- Forget its reputation for wild partying and consider a family getaway to Cancún
- For an adults-only getaway, it's hard to beat beautiful Barbados
- Beer talk: Enjoying a Pittsburgh beer getaway
- Escape to these hot destinations for Valentine's Day
- Family celebrates 'country of blessing' this Fourth of July
- Philadelphia is a prime destination for history lovers, but its culinary scene is exceptional as well
- 32 Fourth of July events around metro Phoenix
- Santa Monica is an ideal winter getaway, with its outdoor lifestyle and laidback California attitude
7 destinations for a cheap last-minute Fourth of July getaway have 650 words, post on mashable.com at July 1, 2015. This is cached page on Health Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.