The death toll from Pakistan’s heatwave exceeded 1,000, according to Pakistan’s largest charity and major emergency medical care provider, the Edhi Foundation
“The death toll is more than 1,000 and it may reach up to 1,500,” Anwar Kazmi, a spokesman for the Edhi Foundation, told AFP. He added that an influx of dead bodies means body bags have stacked up on the floor of the morgues with authorities unable to supply adequate refrigeration.
Hospitals in Pakistan’s second city Karachi have treated nearly 80,000 people for the effects of heatstroke and dehydration, according to medical officials. It is the worst heatwave in Karachi in 35 years.
Karachi has been particularly hard hit, with people sweltering in temperatures in the mid-40s Celsius (around 110 degrees Fahrenheit). While these temperatures are not unusual in other parts of the country, Karachi is usually a little cooler because of its coastal location.
This year’s heat wave has coincided with the start of Ramadan, where many Muslims observe a strict fasting regime that does not allow any food or drink from sunrise to sunset.
Under Pakistani law, it is illegal for Muslims to eat or drink in public during daylight hours in Ramadan.
The majority of the deaths in Karachi have been among the elderly, the poor and manual laborers who have to work outdoors. Clerics have urged those at risk of heatstroke not to fast.
The situation has been exacerbated by frequent power cuts, which have stopped fans and air conditioners from working and interrupted Karachi’s water supply.
Last month, a
claimed the lives of more than 2,000 people.
ng/jil (AFP, Reuters)
- India's coronavirus death toll tops 200K amid 'particularly dangerous' wave
- World Insights: Japan's COVID-19 death toll tops 10,000 as 3rd state of emergency in effect
- COVID-19 death toll tops 3 million worldwide
- Worldwide COVID-19 death toll tops a staggering 3 million
- Brazil's COVID-19 death toll tops 295,000
- Brazil's COVID-19 death toll tops 360,000
- India reports highest single-day spike in COVID-19 cases, death toll tops 200,000
- Brazil's COVID-19 death toll tops 395,000
- Brazil's COVID-19 death toll tops 350,000
- Worldwide COVID death toll tops 3 million: Johns Hopkins University
- Worldwide COVID-19 death toll tops 3 million
- Argentina's COVID-19 death toll tops 60,000
- Brazil's COVID-19 death toll tops 300,000
- Myanmar coup: Activists launch 'garbage strike' as death toll tops 500
- Romania's coronavirus caseload surpasses 1 mln, death toll tops 25,000
- Myanmar death toll tops 500 as protesters stage 'garbage strike'
- Global death toll passes 3M
- Coronavirus in Pakistan: 157 succumb to virus as country reports highest single-day death toll to date
- Mexican government admits the country’s true Covid death toll is 321,059 - almost 60% higher than previously reported
- COVID: Global coronavirus death toll passes 3 million
Pakistani heat wave death toll tops 1,000 have 426 words, post on www.dw.com at June 25, 2015. This is cached page on Health Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.