Stress is an unavoidable fact of life. You do what you can to cope. Sometimes, though, it becomes so persistent and overwhelming that it just drains you, physically and emotionally. Experts refer to this state of complete exhaustion as burnout—and not surprisingly, it’s more pervasive than ever.Being burned out seems to go hand-in-hand with job stress, but it isn’t always work-related. A feeling of excessive responsibility contributes to burnout, as can feeling like you don’t have control over a situation. Burnout can lead to serious medical problems, including high blood pressure, gastrointestinal problems, coronary artery disease, and sleep problems, says Peter S. Moskowitz, MD. (Here’s 10 silent signals you’re way too stressed.)Symptoms of burnout: The emotional signs often start first. “You may feel irritable, finding that you have less ability to deal with minor problems at home and at work,” Moskowitz notes. People under stress may begin to squabble with coworkers, experience road rage, or have an extra cocktail before dinner. They may show signs of depression—struggling to get out of bed in the morning—or symptoms of anxiety—lying awake at night. Later, physical signs appear, such as headache, abdominal pain, backache, chronic fatigue, and a general I’ve-just-been-run-over-by-a-truck feeling.“Burnout is a serious… Read full this story
- 10 of the most exciting Burns Night events happening in Glasgow
- SPONSORED CONTENT: Find the best ways to celebrate Burns Night
- Woman who started deadly Cork fire clutched cider bottle as she fought Gardai trying to save her from burning building
- 'Burned alive': Woman's agonising condition that's 'worse than childbirth' forces her to sleep next to FREEZER
- Friendship was key to helping these four burn victims love the skin they are in after forming an unbreakable bond
- Maverick railway engineers from Yorkshire hoping to stop HS2 in its tracks
- Why can’t we win in our war films the way the Yanks do?
- Robert Burns was no peasant poet, he was a master of self-promotion
- Rotherham Titans 27 Cornish Pirates 24: First vleague win and team spirit offers faint hopes of ‘great escape’
- Rotherham Titans 27 Cornish Pirates 24: First league win and team spirit offers faint hopes of ‘great escape’
24 Ways To Stop Being Burned Out have 356 words, post on www.prevention.com at June 21, 2014. This is cached page on Health Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.