Twenty-five-year-old Manuel Angel Diaz was shot and killed on Saturday afternoon as he ran away from police officers in Anaheim, Calif. A police spokesman said that the officers approached Diaz because he and two other men were standing near a car in an alley, an activity they considered suspicious, the New York Times reports.
But since then, Mayor Tom Tait has called for a state and federal review of the shooting, and for the past four days, demonstrators have been protesting the shooting of the apparently unarmed man — the eighth officer-involved shooting in the city this year.
The San Jose Mercury News reports that 24 people were arrested last night, and early this morning as many as 500 demonstrators and 250 police officers from several Orange County cities faced off in seven hours of confrontations that ended around 2 a.m.:
The clashes followed a City Council meeting Tuesday in which city leaders voted to ask the U.S. attorney’s office to investigate weekend officer-involved shootings that killed two men and prompted a $50 million civil-rights lawsuit.
The council chambers were packed with people and about 100 protesters were unable to get inside, Dunn said.
They chanted and held a peaceful rally outside. But the crowd swelled and when some people pushed on the windows, police came out and pushed them back, Dunn said.
Demonstrators marched to police headquarters and back to City Hall, but violence didn’t erupt until around 6:30 p.m. when police detained a demonstrator who reportedly had a gun, Dunn said.
It turned out the man did not have a weapon, but some in the crowd began throwing rocks at officers, Dunn said.
It was the fourth day of violence in the wake of two deadly officer-involved shootings.
The family of Manuel Diaz sued the city and the Police Department on Tuesday, claiming he was shot and killed Saturday while running away, lawyer James Rumm said. The family is seeking $50 million in damages.
- New questions after videos show police shoot fleeing suspects in 2 California cities
- The Latest: Residents call for mayor, police chief to resign
- White cop is charged with murder after shooting dead 28-year-old black woman in her own home during a wellness check
- A look at the shooting videos released by Charlotte police
- Baton Rouge police chief focused on building trust among officers during 3rd year in office
- Baton Rouge civil service board again agrees to postpone Blane Salamoni's appeal hearing
- Judge approves Ferguson deal with DOJ to improve policing
- Report: Inmate deaths in East Baton Rouge higher than national average; jail fails to provide adequate protection
- Civil Rights Groups Sue Feds For Surveillance Data on Movement For Black Lives
- Palestinians say over a dozen killed in Gaza border protest
- BRPD ends appeal from Blane Salamoni with settlement in Alton Sterling shooting, chief apologizes
- Settlement talks back on the table in Alton Sterling wrongful death suit
- Shooting in Jersey City leaves multiple people dead, including police officer
- Anger As Policeman Charged with Murder of Aboriginal Australian Teenager
- Michael Brown's family sues city of Ferguson
- Wikipedia’s strength is in collaboration – as we’ve proved over 15 years
- Maryland High School Shooter Killed A Student And Injured Another Before Taking His Own Life
Fatal Police Shooting: Protests Continue have 530 words, post on www.theroot.com at July 25, 2012. This is cached page on Health Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.