New York City is often celebrated for its rooftop views. From famous observation decks to stylish bars, these decks, patios, or even just dirty roofs with lawn chairs give New Yorkers something they covet: space. What one doesn’t picture when they think of a New York City rooftop is a 40,000 square foot organic farm. Then there was Brooklyn Grange. Built by the Bromley Caldari Architects, it is thought to be the largest rooftop farm in the world. The farm was planted on top of a warehouse built in 1919, and opened in spring of 2010. Today, the farmers continue to produce organic produce for local vendors that include tomatoes, peppers, herbs, fennel, greens, and root veggies. Conceived by Ben Flanner, the farm was created in the spirit of farm-to-table dining, and the owners of local restaurants contribute and sustain the farm’s flourishing growth. Flanner first started Eagle Street Rooftop Farm in 2009, the first of its kind, and was later inspired to try his methods in a bigger venue. The produce is grown in beds of organic Roofite soil, produced by Skyland soil company. The soil is lightweight and made up of compost and pourous stones that add essential… Read full this story
- Rikers 2.0: inside the battle to build four new prisons in New York City
- Amazon will open a new office in New York City by 2021
- Taxi Sharing Could Revolutionize New York City's Transportation System
- Families are set to sue New York City over mandatory measles vaccine order: Lawyer says the move and threat of $1,000 fine is unlawful - but public health experts say it could swing either way in the Supreme Court
- We Need ‘The Real Housewives of New York City’ Now More Than Ever
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Disses Amazon’s New York City Expansion Plans
- Mayor of New York City Bill de Blasio Drops out of 2020 Presidential Campaign
- Anthony Weiner’s Incredibly Shrinking Campaign for New York City Mayor
- Terrorists Are Still Obsessed With New York City
- WATCH: Hammer On ‘Tipping Point With Liz Wheeler’: Why Is No One Discussing Rising Anti-Semitic Violence In New York City?
New York City home to world's largest rooftop farm have 340 words, post on www.zdnet.com at October 17, 2011. This is cached page on Health Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.