Atletico Madrid striker Diego Forlan could become Diego Maradona’s first major signing since becoming Al Wasl manager.
The ambitious Dubai-based club revealed they were “working” on a deal to sign Forlan, who was voted the best player at last summer’s World Cup, less than a month after announcing Maradona as boss.
“He (Forlan) is one of the big names on the line, I can’t deny that but we still haven’t closed this deal,” Al Wasl chief executive Ashraf Ahmad Mohammad told The Gulf News.
“We are working on it. We are certainly doing our best to bring top things to this country, because the UAE deserves it.”
Forlan won the Golden Ball at the World Cup finals in South Africa after his five goals helped Uruguay to the semi-finals.
The 32-year-old has, however, struggled for form in the second half of the Spanish Primera Liga season, prompting speculation he was set to leave the capital club.
Forlan also reportedly fell out with boss Quique Sanchez Flores who is to leave the club in the summer.
Maradona is set to begin his tenure with Al Wasl next month and begin preparations ahead of the new season in September.
It is the 50-year-old’s first job since he guided Argentina to the last eight of the World Cup, and Mohammad has pledged to back his high-profile coach in the transfer market.
“If we give Maradona the right players and assistant I don’t see where he will fail,” he added.
“We are working with him hand in hand to make him successful. If we watch the show from afar and don’t solve these problems immediately it will be a disaster.
“But if we’re hand in hand from the beginning we will reach our goals and have our glory. Maradona will do his job but he must have the tools.”
- The last laugh
- Following in the footsteps of Justin Bieber: Finding out why the Montage Beverly Hills is one of the singer's favourite hotels
- The best universal remotes for 2020
- How Man Utd will line up after Solskjaer splashes £274m summer warchest on Sancho, Grealish and Maddison
- The Battle Of Chosin. Part 3: Surrounded
- 8am Chelsea news LIVE: Top-four boost after City ban, Ziyech ‘very happy’ to join, Sancho ‘to leave Dortmund’
- Outshining the Sun King
- Secrets of a professional fashionista: Celebrity stylist, 28, reveals how she made it in one of the toughest industries on earth - and the key piece every woman should invest in each season
Maradona sets sights on Forlan swoop have 415 words, post on www.foxsports.com at May 23, 2011. This is cached page on Health Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.