London 2012 chairman Sebastian Coe defended plans to move theOlympic marathon route away from the main stadium and into theheart of the capital.Marathon runners would avoid the streets approaching the stadiumin Stratford, east London.”This is not a beauty contest and it would be ludicrous tosuggest that we are ashamed of the East End,” Coe said Tuesday.”We wouldn’t have created an Olympic Games that in large part isdelivered in the East End with all the legacies if that were thecase.”Instead, competitors are set to run near London landmarksincluding Buckingham Palace and the Houses of Parliament.”This is a purely operational issue,” Coe said. ”This hasnothing to do with iconic landmarks, or with the East End of Londonor with broadcasting.”It’s about the staging across 16 days of effectively 52individual world championships and trying to create the matrix thatallows you to have a marathon at the same time as other eventswithout cutting across the ability of the competitors andspectators to get there.”Coe said the torch relay before the Olympics will go througheast London.”It should be a much more impactful moment than a smallmarathon field running through that borough,” Coe said. ”TheOlympic marathon is not like the London Marathon – the field isonly about 100… Read full this story
- Acting Homeland Security chief defends new limits on DACA
- London 2012: Cumbria Olympic torch relay route revealed
- London 2012: Luke Campbell beats John Joe Nevin to win gold medal
- Stephen Lawrence killer plans to change his name so he can ‘move on with life’ after he’s released from prison
- London 2012: Ex-soldier's Olympic torch relay joy
- Big Data: Three ways Chief Data Officers can change the agenda
- Del Potro in London frame after defending Stockholm title
- Tory plans for change to care costs 'risk being built on shaky foundations'
- State schools chief renews call for changes in school calendar
- Grassroots sport battered with £400million of brutal Tory cuts since 2012 Olympics
London 2012 chief defends planned marathon change have 309 words, post on www.foxsports.com at September 28, 2010. This is cached page on Health Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.