RODALE NEWS, EMMAUS, PA—August is peak harvest season for many delicious fruits and vegetables. By finding ways to store and preserve them through the coming months, you can not only take advantage of your local farmer’s market, you’ll also avoid contributing to the carbon footprint of produce that’s shipped and trucked from warmer parts of the world during fall and winter. And sure, we’re all tempted to buy, say, strawberries in January. But they rarely taste as good as they should.Drying, or dehydration, is perhaps the oldest method around for preserving food. It’s also the greenest: The process takes little or no energy input, and the dried food stores a long time at room temperature in any old airtight jar. Best of all, drying food is easy and inexpensive to do; most of the work goes on in the background while you’re doing other things. You can even dress them up in a nice jar with some ribbons and a card, and you have much-appreciated holiday gifts when December rolls around.Here are three great projects to get you started:TomatoesTomatoes will dry faster if you cut them and remove excess moisture and seeds, so cut cherry tomatoes in half or larger… Read full this story
- 4 fall and winter getaways in Wisconsin
- Fall family festivities: More than 25 metro Milwaukee events to enjoy fall with the kids
- Fall and winter festivals, fairs and other events in Wisconsin
- Progressive laws in Vancouver make next month's Winter games the Pot Olympics
- THREE FOR THE ROAD. There's still time for a summer trip: Take your pick from N.J., Vermont or upstate N.Y.
- LAND OF PLENTY. The Brandywine Valley, on the Pennsylvania-Delaware border, is brimming with summer pleasures
- Yosemite National Park: Majesty is never out of season
- The ever-growing case for eating insects
- 11 free kid-friendly events in November around Phoenix
- 100 ways to survive 100-degree heat in Arizona
The Nickel Pincher: Preserve Summer's Tastiest Harvest to Enjoy in Winter! have 316 words, post on www.rodalesorganiclife.com at August 6, 2009. This is cached page on Health Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.