The sweltering weather of the last few days in the central region gave way to rains on June 14, which are also set to play savior for thousands of hectares of standing summer-spring rice in the drought-hit region.
Provinces from Quang Ngai to Thua Thien-Hue, which were reeling under temperatures of 37-39 degrees Celsius, received heavy and widespread rains.
The director of the Quang Nam Province Department of Agriculture and Rural Development, Nguyen Thanh Quang, said 41,000 hectares of rice had been withering and authorities had been pumping water several times daily to irrigate the crop.
The rain has helped save the crop and the cost of pumping water, he said.
In Da Nang City, more than 4,000 hectares of rice benefited.
But health officials have warned that children are susceptible to illnesses because of the sudden change in weather.
- Wet weather hampering many crops
- Making a splash? Rain trickles on
- Rain threat diminishes, but Cenla flooding persists
- Turkish man rescued after 100 hours under earthquake debris; death toll reaches 534
- 9/11 memorial events in Central Jersey
- More storms, tornadoes expected to strike central United States
- Heavy rains in Nepal flood entire districts as death toll rises past 50
- Teen surfers rescue three off Seaside Heights
- Thousands evacuated as monsoon rain floods Pakistan villages
- Typhoon Hagupit slams into central Philippines
- Two U.S. students survive nine days in New Zealand wilderness on diet of carrots, rice, peanut butter and trail mix
- Central Jersey roads reopening as flood waters recede, Manville closes shelter
- Bad news for movie fans: Drought hits U.S. popcorn crop
- 20 inches of rain falls, hundreds rescued
- Flash-flooding forces dramatic rescues in Arizona after 8 inches of rain falls in Phoenix area
- Break in rains help Colo. flood rescue efforts
- House passes $100-billion-a-year farm bill that cuts food stamps but preserves crop subsidies
- Rain pummels south Louisiana parishes
- Rain serves as umbrella for Maria Sharapova during Tuesday's match against Marion Bartoli at U.S. Open
- New England braces for third snowstorm in three weekends as snow, sleet and rain move in from the Midwest
Rains rescue rice crop in central region have 322 words, post on at June 15, 2009. This is cached page on Health Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.