When sugar cravings set in, the last thing we might think of is our long-term mental health. However, there is plenty of evidence to suggest that we should. We’ve all been there. After a stressful day, when our mood is low, it is easy to reach for a tub of ice cream or similar sugary treat. But evidence of the link between sugar and mental health is mounting – and it’s not just sweets that rack up our daily sugar intake. Last week, Medical News Today reported on a study published in the journal Scientific Reports that identified a greater risk of depression among men who consumed significant amounts of sugar in their diet. One might argue that feeling depressed may lead to increased sugar consumption, rather than the other way around. However, what was really interesting about this study was that the researchers, from University College London Institute of Epidemiology and Public Health in the United Kingdom, used a mathematical model to exclude exactly that: a phenomenon they called reverse causation. Using data from the Whitehall II study – a large group of civil servants in the U.K. – they showed that sugar consumption came before depression, rather than… Read full this story
- One in five people facing mental health problems
- Managerialism in UK schools erodes teachers' mental health and well-being
- Managing Your Mental Health While Managing A Newsroom’s Social Media
- Britney Spears Reunites with Her Kids But Many Unresolved Mental Health Issues
- Britney Spears' BF Says She's 'Doing Amazing' Through Mental Health Crisis
- Do Whites Have a Mental-Health Edge?
- Venessa Abram Brings Awareness To Mental Health By Sharing Her Own Experience
- On Black Men and Mental Health
- Bourdain Suicide Prompts More Restaurant Workers To Open Up About Mental Health Issues
- KET will air three hours of programs on youth mental health in November; first one airs Nov. 5 at 9 p.m. ET
Sugar and mental health: A toxic combination? have 306 words, post on www.medicalnewstoday.com at November 29, 1999. This is cached page on Health Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.